1.2.7 feedback and feature requests

The world's first H.264 AVCHD accurate cutter without re-encoding!
Smart Cutter and Mate for DV and DVB.
Smart products manages, splits, joins movies from DV Camcorder and DVB HD PVR.
FameFan

1.2.7 feedback and feature requests

Post by FameFan »

Hi,

I am new here. Have Ver. 1.2.7. Want to use Smart Cutter for frame-accurate editing of my DVB-S2 SAT TV recording (which I make using DVBViewer Pro) and my own AVCHD camcorder footage. Basically h.264 TS and MTS with 25 fps TFF interlaced and/or 50 fps progressive (Europe). Occasionally I have to do some 30 fps/60 fps work for my friends. I have some years experience (as a user) with other cutters and am happy found "World's first frame accurate H.264 AVCHD cutter without re-encoding!". This is was I kept seeking for a long time. After cutting the footage I mainly use multiAVCHD to create the final AVCHD structures with named chapter menus.

I consider Smart Cutter a very promising product with ample room for further improvement.

These are my findings after some initial learning how to use Smart Cutter Ver. 1.2.7, making some minor tests and then trying an almost real project (fine cutting a 2+ hours HD TV recording):

A. Would like to have:
1. Smart Cutter should remember some settings and options, i.e. Size and location on desktop (currently starts larger than my 1920x1200 pixel desktop can display),
link ON or OFF selection in Batch list (EDL list)
2. Drag&Drop of video footage from explorer window to Input window (like OPEN)
3. Additional navigation options for iterative stepping to desired point in video (including quick return to previous step, Undo last step, etc.)
4. Play/Pause via SPACE key
5. Navigation icons <<<-10m <<-1m <<-10s <-1s +1s> +10s> +1m>> +10m>>> etc.
6. GOP-frame-structure based navigation icons <<<-10IF <<-1IF <-1 Pf +1Pf> +1IF>> +10IF>>>
(frame accurate H.264 AVCHD cutter without re-encoding is a big deal when necessary, but why not use the input GOP structure's I-frames where possible? )
7. More detailed descriptions in F1 Help (currently only Quick Guide available, Help is not really a help)

B. Necessary for easy use and doing a good job:
1. More support for testing if a candidate point will be a good START/END point with respect to audio. (PREVIEW Play some seconds from/to candidate point and then return to candidate point)
2. GOTO timecode (for quick access of any frame in the input stream). Enable Current time field for Ctrl+C/V and for keyboard input!
3. "Near frame(+/3)": remove inconsistencies, always keep up to date, click on +/-1,2,3 should have same effect as click on thumbs (set focus on that frame), click on the start frame thumb(circle 3) should set the "near frames" accordingly, same for GO TO the end frame, same for PAUSe of video replay! Click on "near frame(0)" should return "fine slider" to its middle position.

C. Vital for usage for real projects:
1. Batch list should work like an EDL list! Must reflect the _input_ video timecode
2. The sequence of the EDL lines must be re-arrangeable any time before output!
3. Record List must output the EDL lines in the re-arranged sequence (not .12. as done now)!
Example: Both arrangement must be possible and the be found in the output video irrespective of which line was added first to the list:
either
-Start Point----End Point---|--Result point
05:44:37.270 - 05:44:47.148 |
05:38:30.950 - 05:38:57.148 |

or rearrangement to output sequence
-Start Point----End Point---|--Result point
05:38:30.950 - 05:38:57.148 |
05:44:37.270 - 05:44:47.148 |

This does not work in my version! I always get as first segment the segment which I entered first into the list, even when I re-arrange it back to second position in the list! I consider this to be an ERROR!

4. Add list should not only add to the list but also automatically set NEW START POINT from next segment to the END timecode of the just added segment! Add list must also automatically update NEW START POINT to end of added segment! All other editing programs do that update!

5. TS in -> TS out !!! Output properties must be same as input properties! Take (h.264) profile and take container type from input footage, use same for output!!! When I use more than 1 EDL line I get: TS in -> mpg out !!! I consider this to be an ERROR!

6. Support for European footage: 25 fps, 50 fps !!!
6.1 current DVB-S2 Sat Free TV examples:
MPEG-TS; AVC Main@L4.0, 1280x720p, 50 fps, 16/9, 4:2:0 24 bits
for arte HD, ZDF HD, EINS HD, EinsFestival HD, ORF1 HF, ORF2 HD, etc.

MPEG-TS; AVC Main@L4.0, 1920x1080i TFF, 25 fps, 16/9, 4:2:0 24 bits, MBAFF
for Servus TV HD

MPEG-TS; AVC Main@L4.0, 1440x1080i TFF, 25 fps, 16/9, 4:2:0 24 bits
for ANIXE HD, ASTRA HD

6.2 Sony TG7VE AVCHD camcorder, HQ setting
00000.MTS, BDAV, AVC Main@L4.0, 1440x1080i TFF, 25 fps, 16/9, 4:2:0 24 bits

Please forgive, if I am wrong in some details. Remember, I am still learning.Please tell me where I am wrong, and why?
Can anybody confirm my findings? I am very grateful for any feedback which helps me to make a better job with Smart Cutter.
I am looking forward to its quick development.

I am sure that Smart Cutter will keep improving cutting smart. :)

Regards
admin
Site Admin

Re: 1.2.7 feedback and feature requests

Post by admin »

Dear FameFan:
Thanks for your detailed information and kind advices!

Yesterday we discussed with our developers about your message all day long.
A. Would like to have:
1. Smart Cutter should remember some settings and options, i.e. Size and location on desktop, link ON or OFF selection in Batch list (EDL list)
2. Drag and Drop of video footage
Already under construction.
3. Additional navigation options for iterative stepping to desired point in video(including quick return to previous step, Undo last step, etc.)
These features are already on our to-do list.
4. Play/Pause via SPACE key
Will be included in the new version.
5. Navigation icons <<<-10m <<-1m <<-10s <-1s +1s> +10s> +1m>> +10m>>> etc.
6. GOP-frame-structure based navigation icons <<<-10IF <<-1IF <-1 Pf +1Pf> +1IF>> +10IF>>>
Interesting. We may have more discussion with our developers about this.
7. More detailed descriptions in F1 Help
Already on our to-do list.
B. Necessary for easy use and doing a good job:
1. More support for testing if a candidate point will be a good START/END point(PREVIEW Play some seconds from/to candidate point and then return to candidate point)
We will put these features on our to-do list.
2. GOTO timecode (for quick access of any frame in the input stream). Enable Current time field for Ctrl+C/V and for keyboard input!
3. "Near frame(+/3)": remove inconsistencies ... Click on "near frame(0)" should return "fine slider" to its middle position.
C. Vital for usage for real projects:
1. Batch list should work like an EDL list! Must reflect the _input_ video timecode
2. The sequence of the EDL lines must be re-arrangeable any time before output!
3. Record List must output the EDL lines in the re-arranged sequence (not .12. as done now)!
4. Add list should not only add to the list but also automatically set NEW START POINT from next segment to the END timecode of the just added segment!
We will put these features on our to-do list.
5. TS in -> TS out !!!
Will be fixed in the new version.
6. Support for European footage: 25 fps, 50 fps !!!
6.1 current DVB-S2 Sat Free TV examples:
6.2 Sony TG7VE AVCHD camcorder, HQ setting
Do you mean that you can not open these movies in Smart Cutter?

Looking forward to your further message.
Thank you.

Best Regards,
FameRing Support Team
Deanjo

Re: 1.2.7 feedback and feature requests

Post by Deanjo »